Friday, August 15, 2008

Perspectives on Library 2.0


I read all of the perspectives on Library 2.0, and found Dr. Wendy Schulz's "To a temporary place and time" resonated with me the most. She looked at the big picture of Library 2.0 and beyond, and her vision of Library 4.0 as a knowledge spa is very appealing!

I find it surprising that in "Away from Icebergs", Rick Anderson says that at University of Nevada, Reno, the circulation has dropped 55% over 12 years. That certainly is not the experience at NVDPL! I agree that we need to continue to work at eliminating the barriers that exist between library patrons and the information they need. His line "if our services can’t be used without training, then it’s the services that need to be fixed—not our patrons" is a very valid point.

What does Library 2.0 mean to me? Well, I would say it means that we accept the fact that change is constant, and we need to create libraries that are as user-friendly as possible. As librarians, we need programs like Learning 2.0 to keep us up-to-date with what is going on out there in the online world, and we also need to take it upon ourselves to try to stay as current as possible.

To me, the key concept here is connectivity.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

I guess we'd have to ask if the circ. has dropped by 55% why did it - are they buying current materials, are they reflecting the needs of the population etc.etc OR are we really heading for a completely Techno age.. Anyhow, keeping abreast of all possibilities hopefully will keep us in business for a few more years to come!